Sunday, March 11, 2012

Look at the World I See at Sea World!






 






























































This weekend, I was itching to get out and explore somewhere outside of Jakarta, so I corralled the family into taking a trip to Sea World Jakarta. Not to be confused with Sea World in the US., this Sea World is not associated, but is very fun and interesting indeed. Built as if you are walking into the underworld, you enter Sea World and walk through dark caverns, with brightly lit tanks full of exotic fish, most (if not all) of which are indigenous to Indonesia.  We walked around for a while checking out all of the beautiful tropical fish in the tanks, then when we got tired, we parked ourselves in front of the shark tank and ate a snack of our family's newest favorite (and nutritious) snack, seaweed.  It seemed strangely curious eating seaweed in front of tanks and tanks of tropical fish, many of which also snack on seaweed.

After our snack break, Logan and I decided to have a Garra Rufa fish "massage" which is one of the oddest things I've done in a long time. During this "massage," customers dip their feet into small ponds full of tiny fish, which clean away the dead skin cells.

When you first dip your feet in, you can't help but to squeal.  The feeling is crazy-weird - a combination of being tickled and electrified - as hundreds of tiny fish masseurs get to work on your feet.  Even after a few moments to get used to the feeling, the 30-minute treatment still felt electric.  This sensation comes from the continuous sucking motion of the toothless fish as they slough off dead skin cells.  The massage causes vibration on your feet, especially the soles of your feet and your toe nails.  In short, it's just plain freaky.  Although I wasn't all that keen on trying it, I promised Logan that if he did it, I would do it too.  So we tried it out together and squealed almost the whole way through it.

After Sea World, we found a spot along the sea to have a nice lunch of nasi gorang, a local rice dish with vegetables, some VERY fresh seafood, tropical fruit, and fresh coconut milk right out of a coconut.  To cap the day off, we got ice cream and then took a sky ride across the area surrounding Sea World and had a nice relaxing time, along with a birds-eye view of the sea.  All in all, it was a very nice 
afternoon!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment