Friday, February 3, 2012

Why the Heck Do You Need a Driver?



Many people have asked me recently, why do you need to hire a driver; can't you just drive yourself?  Well, the answer is yes, but no. 

Our decision not to drive in Indonesia and to hire a driver (as 99.9% of expats do) is partly self-imposed and partly a matter of circumstances.  First, I have been told it's pretty tricky for an expat to obtain a drivers license here, and the process is often held up or delayed for unknown reasons.  More importantly, however, many companies strongly discourage expats to drive here, as expats are often the target of crime when they do drive - i.e., we have heard stories that criminals will hit your car, hoping you get out of the car, and then they rob you.  It's probably just an exaggerated fear and doesn't happen often, but there is that concern.  And, as I've heard one person say with respect to crime against expats: "consider yourself a walking ATM."  That being said, while these scenarios may give the impression that Jakarta is dangerous for expats, by contrast I feel completely safe walking around by myself and I have never felt unsafe, in danger, or threatened in any way, nor have I ever had so much as a creepy leer directed my way.  In short, I feel safer here than I have felt on many streets back in the U.S.

Getting back to the driving issue, several other practical issues lead us to the decision not to drive, they are that first, there are a bazillion motorcycles on the road at all times weaving in and out of traffic, without any lanes or restrictions, so if you're in a car and move an inch (pardon, a centimeter) that the motorcycles don't expect, you could knock them all over and maim an entire village.  Also, Indonesians drive on the left-hand side of the road, and have the steering wheel on the right side in the car, which is not impossible to overcome, but definitely tricky to get used to.  Plus, the roads here are like a convoluted, labyrinth of teeny tiny windy streets and side-streets, so only the very seasoned pros know where they're going at any given time.  Oh, and last, but certainly not least is the traffic:  the utter, sit-in-one-spot and be patient cause you're not moving traffic like you've never seen traffic before in your life.  And, who wants to drive in THAT?

All of that leads us to buy a car and hire a driver.  We're renting a car now, but we will buy a car soon.  And, we've hired a driver.  He's a very calm and gentle man named, Hadi (yes, OHEC crew, same name as our summer intern). Very sweet and warm to us and the kids.  Plus, wages here are very low.  Drivers here typically work for 10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week and earn about $150-$250 per month.  Yes, per month.  Labor is cheap.

So, all of these factors adding up to what they do, it was a no-brainer.  As much as I love driving, and as much as I hate giving up that freedom:  I ain't driving here!

No comments:

Post a Comment