







One of the things that's most fun to me about being in a new country, is having the opportunity to, and the willingness to, try foods that are new and different. An easy way to do this, especially for my kids, is through new kinds of fruits. What kid doesn't love fruit, right? Well, my kids do. Especially Logan who single-handedly can eat 6 apples, pears and bananas a day. However, Natasha, while more discriminating in her tastes, is definitely a more adventurous eater, and she's already added several new foods to her repertoire. Some of the new fruits we're tried include: rambutan, jackfruit, lychee, starfruit, kumquat and dragon fruit. Several of these are pictured above and we like almost all of them. In particular, I love dragon fruit, which comes in white with black seeds or bright beet red with black seeds. Logan loves starfruit, and we ALL love Asian pears, which are readily available here and are the size of an extra large softball.
Speaking of fruit, as I am determined to take on new challenges while I'm here, I made a concerted effort to try the famed, durian fruit. For those who have traveled to Southeast Asia, you have probably heard of durian fruit, which has a very particular odor, a unique taste, and is covered by a hard husk. Having a very "disagreeable" smell, compared to sewage or skunk spray, this fruit is banned by many hotels and public transportation spots. Still, I wanted to try it. So, the first place I found to try it was at a durian ice cream stand. I mean, "how bad can fruity ice cream be," I thought to myself? Well, it was BAD. Trust. The ice cream itself stank to high heaven, and it was covered with a thick warm sauce that could only be compared to a glutenous garlic and onion soup! To me, it tasted disgusting, but to others who live here, it is heavenly.
Just one more way I'm learning every day that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder!
No comments:
Post a Comment