Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lounging in Lombok

So, I'm a little behind with my blog posts and I'm sorry I have not posted these pictures sooner, but sometimes, well, as they say, life just gets in the way.  So, here are some photos from our recent trip to Lombok.  Lombok is an island east of Java (on which Jakarta is located), and just slightly further away from Jakarta then Bali.  In other words, before Bali comes Lombok.  Literally too.  Other expats I've talked to say that Lombok is now, what Bali was like 20 years ago.  I suppose that means people think it's beautiful, yet unmarred by over-commercialism and over-population  Perhaps that might be true.  Lombok is indeed beautiful, less traffic and people than Bali, and less commercialism.  Yet, by the same token, there is also less to do there - no waterparks, museums, animal preserves, elephant rides, etc.  But, the good news is that Lombok was utterly perfect for exactly what we needed - a relaxing family beach vacation.  

Rather than write a long narrative about our visit, I've just decided to punctuate my pictures with some descriptive captions.
Our hotel, the Sheraton in Sengiggi Beach, Lombok was right on the beach, had a great pool, and here is a photo for Darren enjoying the water slide which came out through the mouth of the giant stone face.


Logan and Natasha both love putting on the hotel robes wherever we go.
The Breakfast Buffet at our hotel was vast - 8 long tables, diverse (western style food, Indonesian style, and Japanese/Korean style), and delicious.  My kids and husband MOST enjoyed the fresh fruit and accompanying chocolate fountain.  In fact, each morning Darren would take to the man at the crepe station, a cup of hot, delicious chocolate to put inside his crepe.  Logan's favorite was the chocolate covered marshmelows.  Yummy!


The hotel pool was lit up each night.  Gorgeous!
Natasha and Logan LOOOOOOVED playing in the pool and sand all day.


Logan, mugging for the camera, as usual.


Horay!  I love vacations!


The London Olympics were on while we were in Lombok and fortunately, the hotel pool bar played the Olympics all the time.  If not for that, you would never have known in Lombok that the most major world sporting event was currently taking place.
Logan loves to watch ANY TV, but it was nice to see him enjoying the Olympics.
A funny sign near the shopping area of town.


Man standing on a rock and fishing.


We took a day trip to the Gili Islands (1 hour away) to go snorkeling.  This is the boat we took to get there.
Natasha and Darren also went snorkeling from the beach of our hotel.



Logan loved feeding the fish while we were snorkeling.  We took a tip from a dive instructor and stuffed bread and pretzels (all we had) into a water bottle, filled it with water, and then punched a hole in the cap.  Any time we squeezed the bottle, bread would thrust out and the fish would congregate around it.  It was a little scary to have all those fish in your face, but fun too!
I really loved seeing the kids enjoy snorkeling so much and I'm soooooo glad I bought an underwater camera to remember these moments.

Even I got to be in a few pictures!

















Several nights we dressed up and had dinner on the beach, in the beach buffet arranged by our hotel.






Darren went snorkeling from our hotel beach every day.





Ahh, the lovely Lombok sunset!
We did manage to leave the hotel once or twice and we visited a Hindu temple.

One day we paid a visit to a local pottery store, where they make all the pottery in the shop out back.
Logan and Natasha got to make their own pottery!
Next, we went to a weaving village, where the women showed Natasha how to make a table cloth.
Logan asked to try it too and all the women giggled at seeing a boy do weaving.
We bought a lovely blue table cloth from these women.

The hotel arranged afternoon activities for the kids every day, one of which was kite-flying.  Logan and Natasha loved it and we even bought some kites to bring home.






The hotel also has a turtle preserve on-site.  They hatch and raise turtle eggs, then for a small fee you can take one that is mature and release it near the water to swim back out to sea.  
The kids made a friend doing the turtle release, Sydney from Swedan,

I think the hotel definitely charms the kids by giving out free ice cream every afternoon.
Yipeeeeeeeeee!


Ever since we left DC, Natasha has wanted braids.  And, since I don't do them so well, we finally found someone who does!


Natasha talked me into getting my hair braided too!  In truth, I think the only people who can pull off this look well, are young children, those with dark skin, and Bo Derek.  But, I gave it a try.
Dinner night out!
More beach time.


So sad to be going home . . .


1 comment:

  1. I actually LOVED the braids on you and Natasha. So, I'll have to disagree. You pulled off the look just fine.

    ReplyDelete